Who is a Yoga Instructor?
Yoga is a low-impact body, mind, and breathing exercise that employs controlled postures and breathing techniques in enhancing overall flexibility, alignment, and strength. A yoga instructor is a professional practitioner who majors in passing on the knowledge of yoga to people in precise terminology, safely guiding students through a series of programs, and in turn making reasonable money from it.
In other words, a yoga instructor does more than teaching people how to practice yoga. An instructor also guides his students with nutrition and meditation, which are both complementary factors to a successful yoga practice.
Yoga instructors or “yoga nomad,” as professionals call themselves, may work full or part-time; they may be employed or self-employed. Depending on the students and yoga class schedule, a yoga instructor may choose to work day, night, weekend, or holidays. There have also been many cases whereby people are being taught how to do yoga over the internet. That is the more reason why we are giving you this article to have full knowledge of how to become a yoga instructor online
Duties of a Yoga Instructor and Description
A potential professional yoga practitioner must be proficient at efficiently training people on how to practice yoga. The responsibilities of a yoga instructor include the following:
- Monitor the fitness level and specific requirements of each student and design classes to suit these particular needs
- Create a curriculum and lead group classes with the students
- Take a visual assessment of students to determine their level of practice
- Demonstrate the specific yoga practices and techniques
- Give a hand to the students to make sure they perform each pose effectively
- General evaluation of a student’s practice, and recommendation of areas of needed correction
- Role modelling them on the types of lifestyles and diets to be on, which are as crucial as getting a yoga pose right
- Organizing comprehensive yoga programs for various students from different background
- Prepping several students for yoga classes and demonstrating each pose of interest to them
- Lecturing the students on numerous types of yoga, and each benefit they have to their body, breath, and mind
- Monitoring the progress of each participant and recommending different other yoga poses, if need be
- Ensuring there is a pleasant atmosphere for the participants to perform yoga
- Ensure students’ satisfaction, and providing proper answers to their queries
- Relate with students with fun and intelligent sequencing while they perform yoga
- Be motivational to the participants with words of encouragement
- Ensure the safety of participants.
What are the tools of the trade for a yoga instructor?
It is no news that every profession has its own tools for practicing effectively. Therefore, a yoga instructor must possess some essential tools to give his students the best services they need. Going by the word “online” doesn’t mean he will not make use of some handy tools; they are just fundamental. These tools include:
- A yoga mat
- Yoga blocks
- Yoga net
- Yoga ropes
Depending on the types of students to be taught yoga, these fundamental tools are not limited to the above-listed ones. For instance, you may need to educate people in a wheelchair on how to practice yoga; then you wouldn’t require most of the tools up there. All you may need is a chair and, maybe, a blanket, in case some parts need to be raised.
What are the Benefits of being an Online Yoga Instructor?
Practicing yoga online greatly hinges on an online connection. But the good news is that a super-fast Wi-Fi connection can be found in almost every corner of the world these days, which shows the world is revolving.
Staying relevant as a yoga instructor demands you keep working on yourself, too. Online yoga is useful to the nomadic lives of yoga instructors, and it is an accessible way to reach everyone in any part of the country. Below are the outlines of the benefits of practicing yoga online:
1.Saves Time and Money
It is no news that yoga studio membership doesn’t come for a cheap. A significant increase in the competition had had a critical toll on the fee paid monthly and the drop-in rates, should you choose not to follow the former. More so, the cost of renting more mats, blankets, and other basic tools are just there to consume your potential income if care is not taken.
Also, it is a chunk of time to move around, sometimes in holdups, to teach people around how to practice yoga. All these take money and time. On the contrary, going online provides several options for the budget. Being an online yoga instructor can entail making use of your computer to show the world what yoga is. Being online cuts the time wasted on the front and back end of yoga class.
On this note, I don’t think there is anyone who doesn’t want to save both time and money to achieve the same objective.
2.More Flexibility In Schedule
Freedom is a critical factor in our respective lives. In order to have this freedom in our lives, a flexible schedule is non-negotiable. Aligning your personal life schedule with a studio function can be a daunting task and a frustrating one. If you choose to ditch class for personal commitments, you may as well miss out on good money.
Therefore, online yoga training provides the needed freedom of making a class whenever you feel like. A class schedule could be early in the morning, or late in the night when you are about to hit your bed. Yeah, that’s freedom!
Online yoga grants you the freedom to schedule your day the way you want, and without needing to set some money aside for a studio ride. Going online, breathes more fun and freedom into your day-to-day life.
3.More Accessible to Everyone
Digital marketing has taken the modern world by storm, and to a new feat of success. In truth, modern yoga is gradually taking over the traditional realm that gave us the first glimpse of what benefits yoga gives to the mind, body, and breath.
Yoga may be inaccessible to most people due to the athletic edge it employs, that is why going online significantly improves this aspect. Also, if you reside in a rural area, you can be almost sure that a yoga studio will not be nearby.
Besides, some programs require a reasonable chunk of time that some people may not have on their side. Therefore, having some yoga classes online may be beneficial to people like this; they don’t get to miss out on anything at all.
Being an online instructor makes yoga practices accessible to nearly everyone in any corner of the world. For as long as you have a device to tether with the internet, you are ready to pass your message across. More so, going online will alleviate some factors of hindrance that you may have with the yoga studio.
Regardless of the distance and inconvenience, if you take yoga online, it will be more accessible to all and sundry.
How to Become a Yoga Instructor Online; Concise Guide
To become a professional yoga instructor, there are some must-have pre-requisites, which include the following:
- Know Yoga: A potential yoga instructor must learn the concept of yoga before taking up the responsibility of teaching it to people. He must be able to major in any style, comprehensive, and specialized yoga training. Pay rapt attention to the difference between the four primary yoga poses, which include karma, bhakti, jnana, and raja.
- Complete an Online Teacher Training Course: This online program is to get you specialized in any specific field you want to major in. The online teacher training course is packed with the essentials of yoga which includes, human anatomy, physiology, philosophy, and instructional techniques.
Knowledge is a fragile thing with the recommended ways of passing them across. Students look at their instructor while he teaches them, and if trained well, will be able to practice on their own. The teacher training program has a standard time of 200-500hr from the Yoga Alliance, which is a yardstick for most schools
- Get Registered: Although, a certification body didn’t come into play until 2012, being certified means gaining an initial level of much-needed credibility to take individual classes. It will make people trust what you can offer concerning practicing yoga. An aspiring yoga instructor who completed an online teacher training course with the non-profit organization, Yoga Alliance, can register for yoga.
- Business and administration skills: Regardless of from what angle you are viewing yoga, it is a form of business to the potential professional practitioners. A sound ability is required to make this profession your own and also get people to make you a force to reckon with.
- Earn Continuing Education Credits: Experience is right for you. Gaining experience is the only way you can handle different types of students and make them have a good impression of you. Knowledge is very critical to your success as an online yoga instructor.
Most yoga professional practitioners attend various studios and seminars to keep their knowledge up to date. Yoga instructors are required to register with Yoga Alliances to complete 75 hours of continuing education. This education comes into play every three years. The Continuing Education Credits is so good for experience and knowledge.
The 75 hours are split into two main parts, 45hours for teaching yoga and an additional 30 hours for the same cause. After this, the Registered Yoga Teachers (RYTs) with the needed level of experience and education can pursue advanced credentials.
How Long Does It Take To Become a Yoga Instructor?
Becoming a professional yoga practitioner is not a forever thing like other professions. Typically, it requires getting yourself acquainted with yoga, learning its history, and variations. This yoga training should span for six months to one year, after which you can enroll for an online course to put yourself to an excellent and much-needed test.
Hence, finally becoming a yoga instructor shouldn’t take you more than five years, depending on your location and ability to accrue necessary experience quickly.
What Are The Industries a Yoga Instructor Can Work?
- Rehabilitation centers
- Fitness centers
- Colleges and Universities
- Government agencies
- Private organizations
Yoga came in crude but packed with the benefits known to all now. Over time, this healthy asana evolved and became an area of interest and focus. With interest growing, many people moved into it and made a profession out of it.
Many people have been discouraged by the relatively non-popularity of this profession in most parts of the world. Due to this factor, not too many people are venturing into yoga as a profession. More so, some people may say that it is too strenuous and physical, so they cannot engage.
The United Kingdom has always had cases with lack of professional respect for the yoga profession. Many people go to yoga with no certification. People call themselves yoga instructor basically because they feel they can make people exercise their body. Truthfully, the yoga profession should be taken seriously if there is any reason to do it at all.
If many people in the profession felt ill and unconcerned like other people did, yoga would have been a redundant aspect of health and long forgotten. People need to be healthy, and that should be a motive to make people believe and go into yoga.
On this note, I would implore you all to go out, get knowledgeable about yoga, come back to the root, and teach people how to be healthy, both in body and mind. To make teaching more comfortable, that’s why we brought you how to become a yoga instructor online.
I will want to believe this piece of article is motivating enough, and should you have any questions at all, message us to get some answers.